6.27.2006

Swallow It

It's easier than you think.

You're working on something for someone else. You have nothing invested but time, energy, and pride. When you're getting paid, it's pretty easy to let the last part go. Not even when you're getting paid a lot, just enough so you can say,"This is a job." It's not your heart, your soul, or something you can't let go of. If it were, you wouldn't be doing it in the first place.

Anyhow, these synopses were really getting to me. I was getting all these minor notes and changes, and I didn't see the point. It's not that I saw my words as gospel, it's just that I didn't see the point of the majority of changes. Then tonight it hit me. They're not paying me to give them what I want. They're paying me for a product that they want, and I'm okay with that. I'm giving in, acquesing to their whims and generally not caring whether they make perfect sense or not. If that's the way they want it, it's their money.

Is this selling out? Maybe. Do I feel like it is? Nope.

I'm a writer getting paid to write. What else is there?

***
Bearers went out last week. It's a sweet looking book, with amazing design by Phil Smith.

Keep in mind, I'll be at SDCC and Wizard World Chicago signing con exclusive variants of the book, if you're so inclined. I'll get a preview up here soon, but I'm really waiting on a site to do it first.

No comments: