8.30.2006

Remember When I Said I Hated Printers?

Yeah, me too. And now I'm paying for it.

Just got our copies of a book that I was basically the only eye on. Things got messed up. I could say it was the printer's fault, but that would be wrong. At the end of the day, it's the editor's fault. We have the least amount of control over anything in the process, but it's still our fault. We're the managers and babysitters of the comic book industry. We may tell people to kill off characters or other stupid things the creators had no intention of doing, but damn it, we're all about the end product. Most of the time.

I fucked up, guys. Call it a printing error, which it is, but basically it's my mistake. I take the blame and the heat, semi-anonymously on a covert Internet blog. And I thought my 7 day EIC stint would be largely everything free. Nope. Aparrently I'm all about mistakes. Ah well, there's always next year.

Unless I get fired. Then it's pretty much just this.

1 comment:

Joe Willy said...

That's good on you to take the fall but what was the mistake? I mean, it's easy to say you should have caught it but is it also something the printer should have caught? If so, there might be shared responsibility. One thing that people who don't work in printing don't understand is that unlike every other job (except maybe pro sports and live theatre- perhaps some others), when you make mistakes in the printing industry they're out there for everyone to see and ridicule.