8.01.2006

Work For-Hire

So I'm writing this treatment. Again. And the more I look at it, the more it doesn't work for me. I've got a co-writer, so here's hoping he can salvage it. If not, back to page one.

My biggest struggles will be the pacing, choosing how much info to impart in each issue/page and keep the story moving at a decent clip. I already know that. What I didn't know is how hard it would be to make all four of my leads work within the confines of the story. The idea was pitched to me as two male characters, who were actually close to characters, and two chicks. Literally, those words, "two chicks." I wrote up some bios and stuck them in the story, but that's really all I did. They got backgrounds and were literally plugged into a story, but I'm not sure that story needs them. One is a romantic interest to some degree, but the other is literally another character pathetically asking for screen time.

Not to mention me wondering whether the concept is going south on me. Is it a concept I can't execute? Is it so hollow that I, in my infinite prowess as a writer, can't inject the life into it? Or maybe it's what I'm suspecting is the case. I'm not sure what story I'm trying to tell. I guess I want to sit there and focus on these really quiet moments in bars and behind closed doors, but I'm not concentrating quite enough on the world of the book. It's the big picture I'm ignoring so that the small can live. Or something like that.

It's late, I'm tired, I didn't get enough positive work done, and now I'm angry about all those things, including my 6:05 am shuttle pickup.

I'm thinking about doing the note cards thing. Just writing out scenes I want to happen regardless of plot, then assembling them as needed. I'll start with scenes, then build more for each characters as needed. Doesn't matter that I don't know if it will work. It's something I can do on a plane...

No comments: