1.07.2007

Does Mark Bagley Work Weekends?

There's no work ethic in the comics industry.

I don't take days off. Sure, I don't go into the office on weekends (well, some weekends) and I certainly work less hours, but not a day goes by that I don't check e-mails, make phone calls, or deal with problems. Is it wrong for me to expect the same of the people I work with?

If the work doesn't get done Monday through Friday, Saturday and Sunday provide a means to catch up. Makes sense to me. But I guess that's the problem. I hold people to standards that are too high. I want them all to be at least as smart as me or work at least as hard as I do. I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but that's not going to happen. When it comes to work, I put it before most things. I sacrifice for the greater good. That doesn't mean I'm not selfish, but it does mean my heart's in it. I'm all in, 100%.

So when I need pages done or things drawn or whatever, I expect it to get done. I don't expect excuse after excuse or "I don't work on the weekends." That's not good enough for me.

But that's the problems with expectations. The higher they are, the harder they are to meet. Sometimes good things happen. Most times you're stuck holding the phone, trying to clean up the mess you did everything to keep from happening.

Say what you want about Mark Bagley or his work (which I'm a fan of), but that guy gets it done rain or shine. There are no excuses that could keep him from coming through when it counts. I need a Bagley, I need a Hester, I need a Romita Jr. I need people to step up, be accountable, and get things done. That's the only way to succeed.

Let's let the failing stop now.

1 comment:

Jason said...

Rob, didn't see your post over The Engine until the thread was locked. I'm the colorist on Hero By Night over at Platinum (and possibly some other upcoming books as well, hopefully :D ) I appreciate the kinds words about Jim McLauglin though, as he is MY editor at Platinum now. And he IS a real cool guy. It really irks me to see people that don't KNOW anything about business, badmouthing and casting a negative shadow on those of us that ARE working for Platinum. No wonder the comic industry isn't more successful, as soon as someone comes along and DOES anything, everyone else wants to knock them down and see them fail. it's sad. anyways, thanks man, some days it DOES end up getting to you, and it's nice to know that we're not alone. take care.
-Jason Embury